A Dummies Guide To Good Nutrition

nutrition-tips

Everyone wants to have good nutrition, right? It’s just that it can be very difficult when there are so many different bits of advice and ideas floating around; that’s why we’ve selected 10 top tips that we think really matter.

For most people, starting with 2 or 3 of these tips will suffice. You don’t want to overpromise and under achieve - so go easy on yourself and be realistic. Once you have practised 2 of these tips with regularity, you can move on to 4 or 5, and so on.

1. Avoid the Four White Devils: White milk, White flour products, White sugar & White Table Salt. Go organic and unprocessed!

2. If you can’t pronounce the word on the label, don’t eat it!

3. What did our ancestors eat? If it didn’t exist 10,000 years ago then we’re not designed to eat it.

4. Avoid pasteurized fruit juices - the enzymes and nutrients contained have mostly been frizzled and killed off through pasteurization. You’re basically drinking sugary water. Always drink fresh juice but drink it straight away, as 50% of the nutrients frizzle off in the first 30 mins.

5. The longer the food lasts on the shelf, the worse for our health it is. Anything in plastic packaging will absorb chemicals from the plastic over time.

6. Choose produce and meats in this priority order:

1. Certified organic free-range meats

2. Organic meat

3. Locally farmed free-range meats

4. Commercial hormone free meats

5. Commercial meats

7. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day, follow this equation: Kg x 0.033 = how many litres per day.

8. Follow the 80/20 rule. Eat well 80% of the time & what you want (excluding junk food) the other 20% of the time. You don’t need to be rigid, just intelligent around your food choices.

9. Respect food as something that makes you the person that you are - it is not simply fuel to bargain shop for. Remember – every cell in your body is made up of something that you once ate. What do you want to be made of?

10. NEVER DIET, THEY DON’T WORK! Follow the previous tips and you will never need to diet again, and you’ll feel a lot healthier in the process.


Jessica Redman